Since slot machines and card games have taken over the poker world, the rise in video poker has also become a front runner in popularity. With the combination of the two, video poker has transformed tremendously since the early 70s and has been a favorite among casino regulars.
Jacks or Better is an original video poker game that everyone should enjoy.
Most Common Tips For Jacks Or Better Strategy
If you are not familiar with Jacks or Better, you first need to be familiar with the hand rankings. Once you understand that, then the rest is easy. The most common quick tips for jacks or better are:
- How the game works
- The pay tables
- What are good hands
- Three keys to remember
How The Game Works
Most versions of Jacks or better are the same but with slight differences. On the video poker version, you are dealt five cards out of a standard 52-card deck. You may discard one or all of your cards.
Once you discard, you will have new cards replaced in your hand. Your goal is to make the best five-card hand, with Jacks or better, to be able to earn any money. You do not have to worry about the dealer or other players since there will not be any. It will be just you against the machine.
The Pay Tables
The payouts will vary based on the casino offering it. Generally, the payouts are roughly the same by this guideline. The hand you have and payouts received are as follows:
- Royal Flush 800
- Straight Flush 50
- Four of a Kind 25
- Full House 9
- Flush 6
- Straight 4
- Three of a Kind 3
- Two Pair 2
- Pair of Jacks or Better 1
So your goal is obviously to try and get the best hand possible to earn the most winnings. The key here is to win as much as you can on smaller hands to wait for the opportunity of a big hand.
Seventy-nine percent of the hands will be losing ones, so you need to be able to power through and make the best out of each situation.
What Are Good Hands?
So from top to bottom, these are the hands you want to keep and the rules that apply to them. If dealt these hands, you should throw away the other cards that are not going to help you in any way:
- Royal Flush, Straight Flush, Four of a Kind
- Four cards to a Royal Flush, discard the other
- Full House, Flush, Straight, Three of a Kind
- Four cards to a Straight Flush
- Two Pair
- High Pair
- Three to a Royal Flush
- Four to a Flush
- Low Pair
- Four to an Outside Straight
- Two Suited High Cards
- Three to a Straight Flush
- Two Unsuited High Cards – Choose just two if more than two
- Suited 10/J, 10/Q, 10/K
- One High Card
- Discard everything if you none of the above scenarios
Three Keys To Remember
After following the guide, you need to keep three essential keys in mind that are going to improve your gaming probability. The three keys are:
- You should always play the maximum number of coins so that you are eligible for the bonus payout for the royal flush. You will be greatly compensated once you hit
- You should take your time when playing this game because the machine is in no hurry to make money off of you. So set your pace and think about each hand.
- Try to improve your odds since only 21 percent of your hands are only winning ones. By using a good strategy, you can capitalize on smaller winning hands.